Fried Eggs with Spicy Minced Pork
1. In a small bowl, whisk 4 tablespoons (60 mL) water with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) cornstarch until blended. In another bowl, whisk eggs. Add cornstarch mixture and whisk to combine.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add egg mixture and fry on low, without stirring, until cooked through and golden coloured. Remove from the pan onto a plate.
3. Fry pork in the same pan until it turns white and is cooked through. Add chili bean sauce and sugar; stir well. Add garlic, ginger, mushrooms, soy sauce, and rice wine. Stir fry until fragrant.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons (30 mL) water with remaining 1 tablespoon (15 mL) cornstarch. Add to the pork mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens.
5. Pour pork mixture over the fried eggs, cut into quarters and serve.
If desired, add white pepper and sesame oil to taste and garnish with chopped green onions.
For convenience and to save chopped time, use minced garlic and ginger from a jar.
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 5 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil
- 5 oz (145 g) minced or ground pork
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) spicy chili bean sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted and chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) rice cooking wine
The spicy minced pork is placed on top of the fried eggs as if the eggs are a plate holding treasures.